23 November 2012

Ah, the pitter-patter of tiny feet

What started as a motivated morning of being productive has turned into me hiding in the bathroom with a couple dozen cookies on hand.

I started with shaking off my post-Thanksgiving food stupor and sorted through my kitchen to get rid of odd bits and bobs of things that once upon a time, I thought might come in useful (68 glass jars, anyone?)

Moved on to laying a brick patio around the fire pit out back. Neighbor kids interrupted and set the dogs to barking, which in turn woke up the cranky teenager. To punish them for poking the sleeping bear, I put them to work laying the bricks for me.

What with child labor moving things along nicely, I stepped inside for a brief moment. Foolish, foolish mama... Organized chain gang work descended into chaos, children running amok, and dogs barking once again.

One look out the window at hordes of screaming banshee children, and I turned tail and fled to my bathroom sanctuary, only bravely poking my head out the door to occasionally yell, "No children in the house!" when I heard the pitter-patter of tiny feet.

Ah, the joys of school holidays...

Monday can't come soon enough.

6 comments:

  1. And this is why some people eat their young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...68 glass jars would suit me very well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and why "mommy needs a drink" - Cheers, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's Christmas break now... and I took off to be with the kids. So far it's the first day... Youngest has put his tooth through his lip, Oldest is singing the Chipmunk Christmas song OVER AND OVER AND OVER... my power tools have up and quit on me, and I need a nap.

    Seriously, who's idea was it to have family fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you alive? Or are you just suffering writers block like me?

      Delete
  5. Happy New Years, Juli!

    I'm alive, down with my twice-yearly pneumonia. And suffering writers block as well! Between holidays, sickness, and general winter blahs, it's slow going here.

    Here's hoping 2013 improves! How's your world going

    ReplyDelete