17 January 2014

Free Yourself

I read a piece the other day, this one here, one that resonated with me, just when I needed it.



A reminder that playing it safe, living within society's (and my own self-imposed) rules of "being the good girl"... well, while that has its superficial benefits, I miss that nerve-tingling sensation I get from stepping past those boundaries into the "I know I shouldn't, but..." realm of feelings, experiences, and memories I might not otherwise have.



I don't know how many years I have left, and while I feel compelled to live within social constraints on the surface, that voice inside of me whispers "break free, be free" and I ache to follow my whims and fancies. And sometimes, sometimes... I do. And of all the things I've done, and all the things that I know I will do that flaunt convention and expectations, I will regret none of it. 

And that, my friends, is my New Year's resolution: live more fully, breathe more deeply, and feel more intensely. Lose myself in touch, in taste, and in pleasure. And above all, waste not a moment in regret.

Regrets won't change what you did, it won't give you absolution, it is nothing more than self-torment at worst and a catalyst for change at best.

Be that best, strive more fully, and love with less constraints. Embrace what your life offers you, and quit worrying about what it doesn't. Unless you have the power, the control, over that which worries you, there is quite honestly no point in worrying. That's futility at its finest.



Go, breathe, laugh, and love. It's a new year, make it what you want it to be. No one else can do that for you!


6 comments:

  1. I'm taking more naps this year. :)

    I love the way you wrote this, and I too think it's important to embrace whatever it is that pleases you. While I tend to fancy the less adrenaline junkie side of things, know that I completely understand where you are coming from. Which is why the other part of my "resolution" this year is to experience 40 new things before my birthday... maybe in Costa Rica. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's less adrenaline, more that tingle which makes your heart quicken and your mind open up. The excitement of discovering new things.

    I'm with you on the 40 before 40! I think that's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, sometimes it feels fantastic to be "out of your box". :) We went zip lining in May this year, I attempted to flip upside down, it was hysterically funny and awesome. In the past I would have sat back and watched while everyone else had all the fun.

      Delete
  3. Do it...don't live to regret not doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said. A great post. We usually remember what we do- and not what we refuse to do.

    ReplyDelete